Our kids are immersed in a world of sensory over-stimulation, much more so than we ever were growing up. Add to that the busy world of school pressure, competitive sports and the stress of peer acceptance and insecurity combined with hormones and it’s no wonder that the current generation of kids are more overwhelmed and stressed out than ever.
Kids can start learning yoga as young as 3 years old, though it might not look like any yoga class you’ve ever been in or seen before! Teachers trained in Kids Yoga will often treat the class more like an adventure story; taking them through a jungle, searching for treasure on a pirate ship or even exploring the solar system! Many yoga poses are related to the natural world and can help kids connect to the feelings that come from being a strong lion, a graceful swan or an unmovable ancient tree. It’s a great way to get their body and mind connected through movement and balance and will allow them to discover an inward focus and stillness through breath.
There are huge benefits to starting yoga at a young age:
- Enhances flexibility, strength, balance, coordination and body awareness
- Improves concentration and focus and introduces the idea of being present
- Brings a sense of calmness and relaxation and allows them to release any stored anxiety in their body
- Helps develop confidence, self-acceptance and self-esteem
- Being part of a non-competitive group allows them to focus inwards to their intuition and inner voice
- Introduces empathy and connection to others
- Makes them aware of how they’re breathing (or not breathing during times of stress!) and teaches breathing techniques that can calm and centre them while improving their lung capacity and generating healthy hormones
- Teaches them that taking time to relax and have time to themselves is essential for a balanced life
- Practicing challenging poses teaches perseverance and gives a sense of achievement and a better knowledge of how the body moves and develops
- Emerging research studies have shown that yoga can help children with ADHD and autism by reducing aggressive behavior, social withdrawal, inattentiveness and hyperactivity
Perhaps if we were all taught yoga as children, the world be a calmer, happier and more connected place to live in. If this is a world that appeals to you and you want to give your children the very best tools to understand themselves and deal with the challenges that face them, YogaLight offers some amazing family classes taught by Sara from Seedling Yoga. As a 200-hour Registered Yoga Teacher and University Qualified Primary School Teacher, Sara teaches fun and friendly classes that the whole family can do together! But kids can also do these on their own and will be encouraged and empowered to talk about, and develop confidence in moving and using their bodies. They’re given lots of tools and exercises to help them become more resilient and create a vocabulary for identifying and communicating their emotions to care for their mental and emotional wellbeing.
With a FREE 7-DAY MEMBERSHIP TRIAL, you can sign up and get a taste of how fun and beneficial kids yoga can be and start your family on a path of inner connection and breath and body awareness.